Bland Shire is situated in the Central West of New South Wales. It is approximately 480 kms west of Sydney. It is a relatively large local government area covering 8559 km2. Surrounding councils include Lachlan, Carrathool, Narrandera, Coolamon, Temora,Weddin, Young and Forbes.
The locality falls within Wiradjuri Country and the indigenous community place cultural heritage significance around the Lake Cowal area north east of West Wyalong.
European settlement of the area began in the 1830’s with the establishment of pastoral "runs". The discovery of gold in 1893/4 led to a rapid increase in population. By 1914 the gold fields had practically ceased production and the agricultural and pastoral industries became the most significant sectors of the local economy. Wheat and sheep production are now the primary products for the area, together with the redevelopment of gold mining facilities.
The administrative centre for Bland Shire is West Wyalong, which is situated on the junction of the Newell and Mid-Western highways.
Bland Shire includes many smaller towns and villages, including Barmedman, Kikoira, Mirrool, Naradhan, Tallimba, Ungarie, Weethalle, and Wyalong. West Wyalong acts as an attractor to communities from outside the shire including Lake Cargelligo, Condoblin, Burcher, Temora and Quandialla.