Bland Shire Logo

Call us today on 02 6972 2266

Plumbing and Drainage

Plumbing and Drainage

In accordance with the provisions of the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 and Regulation, from 1 January 2013 the NSW Office of Fair Trading became the single plumbing and drainage regulator for all on-site plumbing and drainage work in NSW. Fair Trading has delegated certain functions under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 to Bland Shire Council for plumbing and drainage works within the Shire boundaries.

All plumbing and drainage work carried in the Bland Shire Local Government Area (LGA) must comply with the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) and Australia Standards AS/NZS3500.

NSW Office of Fair Trading licenses plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989, and all plumbing and drainage work must be completed by a person holding a NSW licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate.

Plumbers and drainers working in the Bland Shire must contact Bland Shire Council to book inspections for approved works, pay fees, submit documentation and for enquires.

Documents and Forms

Plumbers and drainers are required to submit the following documents at certain stages of the work:

  • Application to connect to Council’s sewerage system, or install a system of on-site sewage management or amend connections.
  • Notice of Work is to be issued to Bland Shire Council no later than 2 business days before the work concerned is carried out.
  • Certificate of Compliance is to be issued to Bland Shire Council and to the person for whom the work was carried out for, on completion of the final inspection.
  • The final “works as executed” Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) is to be issued to Bland Shire Council and the owner of the land or owner’s agent at the completion of the drainage works.

What works require a Notice of Works?

A Notice of Work (NoW) is required for any plumbing installation downstream from the point of connection to a water supply and any sanitary plumbing or drainage work from and fixture point of connection with the local utility operator. The Notice of Work must be completed by the licensed plumber or drainer. A NoW must be submitted to Council prior to booking an inspection.

The Notice of Work will be completed by the plumber or drainer (the responsible person) and provides the following information to the regulator:

  • who will carry out the work
  • where work will be carried out
  • when work will be undertaken and estimated completion date
  • the type of work to be carried out (scale and scope)
  • intention for work to comply with (PCA and AS/NZS3500), and
  • if an alternate solution is being proposed.

If the work is to be completed in stages and/or by different plumbers/drainers Council will require a different Notice of Work to be issued at the relevant stage by the plumber/drainer who has undertaken the work. To download form, click Notice of Work.

What is a Certificate of Compliance?

A Certificate of Compliance is a legal requirement. It confirms that a licensed plumber/drainer has undertaken work, which complies with current legislation and the relevant industry Codes and Standards. A Certificate of Compliance must be filled out for all completed plumbing and drainage work.

If the work is to be completed in stages and/or by different plumbers/drainers Council will require Certificates of Compliance to be issued at the relevant stage by the plumber/drainer who has undertaken the work. To download form, click Certificate of Compliance.

What is a Sewer Service Diagram?

A Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) is a layout of the on-site house service line from the fixtures to the point of connection or the property boundary. To download a copy of a Sewer Service Diagram form, click on relevant link below:

SSD A4 landscape template

SSD A4 portrait template

SSD A3 landscape template

SSD A3 portrait template

SSD symbols template

Do I need approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act?

Approval is still required from Council under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 to carry out the following works:

  • Connection of plumbing or drainage works to Council’s asset. e.g. a reticulated sewerage system;
  • Installation of a sewage treatment system/onsite disposal system (septic tank / AWTS); and
  • Stormwater drainage works.

Trade Waste

Bland Shire Council retains responsibility for trade waste applications, treatments and discharges throughout the Bland Local Government Area.

NSW Fair Trading is the regulatory authority for the drainage to and from the trade waste apparatus. Council officers have been delegated the authority to carry out inspections of this work on behalf of NSW Fair Trading.

Do I need to request the Council to inspect plumbing and drainage work?

Yes. Council requires inspections of all plumbing and drainage works. All work covered by a Notice of Work must be available for inspection (48 hours’ notice is required) by Council staff and passed by Council prior to the works being covered or completed. The inspections are:

  • all external drainage including the point of connection to Councils sewer
  • all drainage (internal and external) including trade waste
  • stack work
  • alterations and additions to existing water and drainage
  • connections to stormwater systems
  • sealing of disused services (water and sewer)
  • work that did not comply with an earlier inspection
  • any work on recycled water plumbing, greywater/blackwater treatment systems
  • new onsite sewage management facilities
  • alterations to existing septic or wastewater treatment systems

How do I arrange a Council Inspection?

To book an inspection, please contact Council’s Development & Regulatory Services department on (02) 6972 2266 with the following information:

  • Development Application number
  • Type of inspection
  • Date of inspection
  • Name and contact phone number
  • Address of property to be inspected

You are advised:

  • The booking should be made at least 48 hours before the inspection is required
  • Work must be ready at the time of the inspection, otherwise Council may charge a reinspection fee
  • Any dogs on the premises must be restrained

What fees do I have to pay?

The fees applicable to plumbing and drainage works and inspections will be in accordance with Council’s fees and charges. In the case of onsite sewage systems, works requiring approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 will also incur a fee.

The relevant fees are required to be paid prior to commencement of any plumbing and drainage work.

The current fees applicable can be found in Council’s Revenue Policy at, or you can phone the Development & Regulatory Services Department on 6972 2266 for a quote.