Bland Shire Logo

Call us today on 02 6972 2266

Barking Dogs

Barking Dog Complaints

If you have a complaint regarding your neighbour's dog barking the following steps are recommended:

  • Approach the dog's owner and state your case clearly and politely, chances are they are unaware their dogs barking is bothering you
  • If the owner is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you can contact Community Justice on 1800 650987, or email them on This service is free, confidential and voluntary.
  • If none of these methods work, contact Council's Ranger on (02) 69722266

How does Council deal with Barking Dog Complaints?

Council takes the following steps after receiving a complaint about a barking dog:

  • The owner is advised of the complaint and advice offered on how to curb the dogs barking
  • If further complaints are received, a Noise Monitor Sheet will be sent to the complainant
  • Once the sheet is returned to Council and shows the dogs barking is still at an unacceptable level, a Nuisance Order may be placed on the dog which stays in place for six months.
  • Should the dog continue to bark, Rangers may issue fines
  • Further non-compliance may see the owner of the dog prosecuted by the local court (a request for the removal of the dog from the property may be sought)

Please refer to the information, forms and fact sheets below -