Bland Shire Logo

Call us today on 02 6972 2266

Caring For Cats

Caring For Your Cat

Just like dogs, cat breeds have their own unique temperaments so when thinking about getting a cat, it is important to investigate the breed and whether or not it will fit into your lifestyle.

Consider the following before purchasing a cat:

  • How much grooming it will need
  • If the breed you want is shy and quiet or active and robust
  • If it will be an indoor or an outdoor cat

If you need more advice or would like to adopt a cat from the West Wyalong Pound you can contact Council's Ranger on (02) 69722266

Being a Responsible Cat Owner

Cats have a reputation for being independent, but they still need care and discipline for their own health and safety. As a responsible cat owner you should:

  • Keep control of your cat to minimise its impact on neighbours and wildlife
  • Identify your cat with a collar and tag, have it Microchipped and Lifetime Registered
  • Have your cat desexed

Nuisance Cat Complaints

If you have a complaint regarding your neighbour's cat, the following steps are recommended:

  • Approach the cat's owner and state your case clearly and politely, chances are they are unaware of their cat's behaviour
  • If the cat owner is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you can contact Community Justice on 1800 650987, or email them on This service is free, confidential and voluntary.
  • If none of these methods work, contact Council's Ranger on (02) 69722266

How Does Council Deal With a Nuisance Cat Complaint?

Council takes the following steps after receiving a complaint about a nuisance cat:

  • The owner is advised of the complaint and advice is offered on how to curb the cat's behaviour
  • If further complaints are received, a Nuisance Order may be placed on the cat which stays in place for six (6) months
  • Should the cat continue the nuisance behaviour, the Ranger may issue fines to the value of $220
  • Further non-compliance may see the owner of the cat prosecuted by the local court (a request for the removal of the dog from the property may be sought)
  • Council's Ranger do not collect straying cats, but they will receive them at the Pound

Contact Details

Development Services

02 69722266 (ph)

02 69722145 (fax)