Bland Shire Logo

Call us today on 02 6972 2266

Caring For Dogs

Caring for Your Dog

If you need more advice or would like to adopt a dog from the West Wyalong Pound you can contact the Council's Ranger on (02) 69722266.

It is important when choosing a dog that you decide on a breed that is suitable to your lifestyle and home. If you are unsure as to what breed is suitable for you and your family speak with the Ranger for advice.

As a dog owner, it is your responsibility to make sure your dog is healthy, safe, well cared for and does not create a nuisance in your neighbourhood.

Ensure your dog has a collar with a tag showing your contact phone number.

Unless you are planning to breed your dog, have it desexed to avoid unwanted litters.

Exercising your dog

Dog prohibited areas

Roaming Dogs

Rules and Guidelines

  • You must have control of your dog at all times. Even if you are in an off leash area, you must prevent it from harassing, attacking and chasing other people or animals
  • Any attacks may result in a Dangerous Dog Declaration being placed on your dog & may be liable for any damages
  • All faeces must be picked up and placed in a waste bin
  • Your dog must be wearing a collar with identification tags and be lifetime registered
  • Declared Dangerous Dogs and Restricted Breeds must comply with the dangerous dog and restricted breed control requirements
  • Any breach of these requirements could result in infringements being issued to owner and/or dog being impounded

Barking Dog Complaints

If you have a complaint regarding your neighbour's dog barking the following steps are recommended:

  • Approach the dog's owner and state your case clearly and politely, chances are they are unaware their dogs barking is bothering you
  • If the owner is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you can contact Community Justice on 1800 650987, or email them on This service is free, confidential and voluntary.
  • If none of these methods work, contact Council's Ranger on (02) 69722266

How does Council deal with Barking Dog Complaints?

Council takes the following steps after receiving a complaint about a barking dog:

  • The owner is advised of the complaint and advice offered on how to curb the dogs barking
  • If further complaints are received, a Noise Monitor Sheet will be sent to the complainant
  • Once the sheet is returned to Council and shows the dogs barking is still at an unacceptable level, a Nuisance Order may be placed on the dog which stays in place for six months.
  • Should the dog continue to bark, Rangers may issue fines for the value of $220.
  • Further non-compliance may see the owner of the dog prosecuted by the local court (a request for the removal of the dog from the property may be sought)

CLICK HERE for further information regarding barking dogs

Contact details

Development Services

02 69722266 (ph)

02 69722145 (fax)