The original occupants of the district were the Wiradjuri people.
Explorer John Oxley was the first European to investigate the area in 1817, proclaiming that "From want of timber, grass and water, it would never be inhabited by civilised man".
Despite this statement squatters began to settle the district in 1833 recognising the area's agricultural potential. Vast sheep and cattle runs were introduced and the area became known as "The Blands" after a Sydney doctor.
It was not until Joseph Neeld discovered gold in 1893 that a centralised settlement developed. The town of Wyalong was laid out in 1894 to service the new population of up to 10,000. However a settlement to the west at the 'Main Camp' had already developed which also boasted the 'White Tank', the only established water supply. Hence in 1895 West Wyalong was officially laid out.
West Wyalong's crooked Main Street reflects these early days as it follows the original bullock track that curved around trees and gold diggings. The Wyalong fields were reported as one of the most productive gold fields in the NSW until the 1920s.
The Bland Shire has a low unemployment rate with a constant demand for skilled labour.
Evolution Mining is the Bland Shire’s major employer. The mine is located 32 kilometres north of West Wyalong.
Pace Farm, AWB and Bland Shire Council are the Shire’s other major employers.
Council has strategies in place to attract more new industries to the area and ensure a prosperous and sustainable future.
Fantastic business and investment opportunities exist to support these major developments and meet the need for housing and other goods and services for our growing population. More information is available by phoning Council on (02) 6972 2266.