Plumbing and Drainage

1. Overview

Under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 NSW Fair Trading is the plumbing regulator in New South Wales. NSW Fair Trading has delegated certain functions under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 to Bland Shire Council for plumbing and drainage works within the Shire boundaries.

All plumbing and drainage work carried in the Bland Shire Local Government Area (LGA) must comply with the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) and Australia Standards AS/NZS3500.

NSW Office of Fair Trading licenses plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989, and all plumbing and drainage work must be completed by a person holding a NSW licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate.

Plumbers and drainers working in the Bland Shire must contact Bland Shire Council to book inspections for approved works, pay fees, submit documentation and for enquires.

2. Documents and Forms

Plumbers and drainers are required to submit the following documents at certain stages of the work:

  • Application to connect to Council’s sewerage system, or install a system of on-site sewage management or amend connections.
  • Notice of Work is to be issued to Bland Shire Council no later than 2 business days before the work concerned is carried out.
  • Certificate of Compliance is to be issued to Bland Shire Council and to the person for whom the work was carried out for, on completion of the final inspection.
  • The final “works as executed” Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) is to be issued to Bland Shire Council and the owner of the land or owner’s agent at the completion of the drainage works.

Relevant forms and further information is available from the Department of Fair Trading website HERE

3. Do I need approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act?

Approval is still required from Council under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 to carry out the following works:

  • Connection of plumbing or drainage works to Council’s asset. e.g. a reticulated sewerage system;
  • Installation of a sewage treatment system/onsite disposal system (septic tank / AWTS); and
  • Stormwater drainage works.

4. Trade Waste

Bland Shire Council retains responsibility for trade waste applications, treatments and discharges throughout the Bland Local Government Area.

NSW Fair Trading is the regulatory authority for the drainage to and from the trade waste apparatus. Council officers have been delegated the authority to carry out inspections of this work on behalf of NSW Fair Trading.

5. Do I need to request the Council to inspect plumbing and drainage work?

Yes. Council requires inspections of all plumbing and drainage works. All work covered by a Notice of Work must be available for inspection (48 hours’ notice is required) by Council staff and passed by Council prior to the works being covered or completed. The inspections are:

  • all external drainage including the point of connection to Councils sewer
  • all drainage (internal and external) including trade waste
  • stack work
  • alterations and additions to existing water and drainage
  • connections to stormwater systems
  • sealing of disused services (water and sewer)
  • work that did not comply with an earlier inspection
  • any work on recycled water plumbing, greywater/blackwater treatment systems
  • new onsite sewage management facilities
  • alterations to existing septic or wastewater treatment systems

6. How do I arrange a Council Inspection?

To book an inspection, please contact Council’s Development & Regulatory Services department on (02) 6972 2266 with the following information:

  • Development Application number
  • Type of inspection
  • Date of inspection
  • Name and contact phone number
  • Address of property to be inspected

You are advised:

  • The booking should be made at least 48 hours before the inspection is required
  • Work must be ready at the time of the inspection, otherwise Council may charge a reinspection fee
  • Any dogs on the premises must be restrained

7. What fees do I have to pay?

The fees applicable to plumbing and drainage works and inspections will be in accordance with Council’s fees and charges. In the case of onsite sewage systems, works requiring approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 will also incur a fee.

The relevant fees are required to be paid prior to commencement of any plumbing and drainage work.

The current fees applicable can be found in Council’s Revenue Policy at, or you can phone the Development & Regulatory Services Department on 6972 2266 for a quote.